Re: [Evolution] About performance

El lun, 11-03-2013 a las 20:57 +0100, Andre Klapper escribió:
Hi,

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 20:20 +0100, Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:
> I'm experiencing a lot of performance issues with latests evolution.
> Evo version is 3.6.2.

3.6.2 is not latest Evolution. You might want to ask your distribution
to ship the latest bugfix version for you.

This is ubuntu 12.10 there's nothing newer. At least not like a Beta.

> I think that since introduction of sql backend.

Assuming that you meant the "sqlite backend", you have a pretty good
memory as you can remember that 5 years ago, Evolution was way more
performant than the last 4 1/2 years.
I just don't understand why you bring it up now and not earlier?

Yessss, I have memory when it relates to my day to day. I'm suffering this since then.

I wanted to bring it up earlier but wanted to be sure... After 4 years, I'm sure. That was a mistake. :D

> I think that developers must put an exclamation mark on this issue
> since will made evo lost every client.

If a relevant number of users is affected and if the problem has
actually something to do with Evolution, that is correct.

I wonder how to start debugging here. Maybe strace to see what your
computer is doing? Have you checked forums and bugtrackers of your
distribution if other users face the same problem?

I've checked some lists, googling, etc and found some really angry users about evo performance. But I don't
rely on just one opinion and continued looking for help. There's nothing more I can find, so I went to this list.

I thought that an SSD disk would help but it does not. And I don't want to do old way of solving problems: "If your
program is slow, buy a new computer". That's not the way.

Evolution used to work really well. But performance degraded over time. I think that maybe someone was already
looking at this problem. So I wanted to share.

The obvious solution is to switch to Thunderbird that works well. But I want Evolution go better...

andre