Re: [Evolution] .cache/evolution/mail any cleanup logic?

On Sat, 2013-06-29 at 00:52 -0400, Jeff Fortin wrote:
Seems like I'm late to the party, but this is a very interesting thread
that touches upon something I've been meaning to ask for a while: does
Evolution automatically cleanup/prune old configs and data (not "cache")
from deleted accounts?

Corollary: do we, as users, have to manually cleanup the cruft of older
versions in the case where we have dutifully upgraded from one to
another (2.32 to 3.0 to 3.2 to 3.4 to 3.6, soon 3.8 when Fedora 19 comes
out)?

Perhaps I'm a neat-freak for even thinking about this, but it would be
reassuring to know that the present files (other than the cache) are
only what's necessary (can make backups and troubleshooting easier)...

As of 3.6, Evolution... well, technically the evolution-source-registry
daemon, does clean up data and cache from old accounts.  But it does so
very conservatively, waiting days or even weeks depending on the account
type so you have plenty of opportunity to recover data if you need to.
I can go into more detail about that if you're curious.

As for config, there's two places I know of where some UI state cruft is
left behind:

  1) ~/.config/evolution/mail/state.ini

  2) The "expanded" files under ~/.config/evolution/mail/folders.

But this is a tiny amount of data and not a priority to automatically
clean up.  It's easy enough to do so manually, if you really care.

If you do find more cruft than what I listed, please file bugs.  Even I
haven't dutifully upgraded since 2.32.  :)

Matthew Barnes