Re: [Evolution] POP or IMAP

I find Evolution handles IMAP really badly and do not use it anymore
for any mail downloading purposes. I like it for its GUI, but the mail
handling is crappy. The worst part is the storage of emails in mbox
like stuff. It is slow and buggy once emails become a few thousand.
Deletes and moves lead to constant freezes, crashes and general
sluggishness, which in turn leads to all kinds of unstable situations
and corrupted mail. And that is with a local mailserver.

Evolution hasn't used mbox as the internal storage format for many, many
versions. Certainly all of the currently supported versions use maildir
by default.  Which versions are you talking about?

That aside, I don't see how the local storage of mail affects IMAP - the
mail is stored on a server, the details of the storage of the mail on
that server is nothing to do with Evolution.  In fact I would have
thought that old versions of Evolution using mbox would have been a plus
point for IMAP, since it is POP that uses the local mail storage, not
IMAP.

Using it across a fragile internet connection is a prescription for
serious pain.

All I can say is that I have never, ever had problems with IMAP mail
handling in Evo. I'm not saying there have never been issues, but it has
never been the IMAP side of things that I've had problems with.

Evolution POP3 with "leave on server" is fine.

It's fine, until something decides to download it all again - a
situation that seems to be so common that there are specific
de-duplication procedures built in to many MUAs!

P.