Re: [Evolution] how to update EVO outside of distro packages

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 17:33 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Building a complex piece of software such as Evo from scratch is not
really something for an inexperienced person - there will be lots of
dependencies you have to satisfy and if you aren't sure what you are
doing you will get yourself (and your system) into a mess!

I'd like to think it's easier than it used to be, though.  We do try to
at least keep the dependency list accurate so if you have an out-of-date
library the configure script will tell you what you need to update.  You
can still wind up in dependency hell, but we at least post signs at the
entrance.

If you do happen to get past the configure stage with no errors and the
build still fails, please report a bug.

We also try to keep our external library dependencies at bay by only
requiring stable versions, never the latest bleeding-edge git revision.
The best way to scare away would-be contributors is to force them to run
a whole bleeding-edge desktop environment.  I don't even do that myself.

In general all you should need for a particular Evolution version is the
GNOME desktop that was stable during that version's development cycle.

e.g. Evolution 3.1/3.2 only requires GNOME 3.0.

     Evolution 3.3/3.4 only requires GNOME 3.2.

     Evolution 3.5/3.6 will only require GNOME 3.4.

     etc.

Matthew Barnes