From: Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Sent: Thu, 21 July, 2011 4:06:02
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Filters for Evolution

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 18:00 -0500, Dave Kolars wrote:
> Currently using K-Mail, but thinking about switching to Evolution...
> MUST be able to filter messages into separate folders for individuals,
> both From: and To: -- have about 300 different folders for people,
> most have both To: and From:
>
> So, am testing it now, ver 2.30.3.

2.30.x is somewhat out of date, but only about a year so it shouldn't
matter much. The current version is 3.0.x and the previous one was
2.32.x.

> I sent an email, created a filter on the person, created folders, hit
> <Ctrl-Y> and no filtering.  What's up with that?  Quit program,
> restarted, etc. - the usual stuff.. I'm retired IT, so I've tried LOTS
> of stuff...

Ctrl-Y applies filters to *selected* messages. If no messages are
selected in the current folder, it won't do anything. Try Ctrl-A Ctrl-Y
to apply filters to all (visible) messages in the current folder.

> I have read a couple of messages that say to go to the Edit -
> Preferences - Mail Acct - Edit - Receiving Options - check the box
> that says "Apply filters to new messages in INBOX on this server".
> Hmmm... I don't have that box to check!

That option is for IMAP servers. On a POP server it's meaningless.

poc