Re: [Evolution] Various strange actions by Evolution

[Please don't top-post on this list.]

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 22:59 -0400, David A Vavra wrote:
I believe I mentioned the server is POP3.

No, you said you were accessing the account via POP3, which is not the
same thing. The same server can be accessed by multiple protocols and
you could be using something different from another client, which is why
I asked.

Paralleling: I have Outlook running at my office and on my laptop. I keep
the messages on the server for about a week so both installations of Outlook
can get to them. Each installation of Outlook must keep its own mark of what
has been read as I'm not aware of any message being read by one and not the
other.

Not what I asked. I was interested in whether these clients are active
simultaneously or whether you shut down one before starting another.
It's not that important if they're all POP.

IIRC, the server doesn't remember if a message has been read but it's been a
long time since I accessed it via telnet so I may be wrong about that. In
any case, I don't think that would explain why Evo thinks there are 25
messages in the Inbox but won't display most of them.

Again, since it's all POP, the question is moot. With IMAP, the server
itself remembers if a message has been seen or not.

I'm a little uneasy about letting Evo have first go at the server. I don't
want to lose any more messages. I think instead I'll setup a dovecot server
at home and see how Evo reacts.

Make sure you have All Messages selected in the drop-down box beside the
"Show:" label above the message list. Also make sure the Search box is
empty.

If none of that works, I suggest you log Evo's activity. Run from the
command line using:

CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 evolution >& /tmp/camel.out
(see http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/bugs.shtml)

Check the log file to see if messages are actually being downloaded.

poc