Re: [Evolution] Evolution && OutLook at the same time

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 07:10 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 12:15 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
I run FreeBSD 8-CURRENT with Evo 2.24.5 in a VM on top of Win7 (don't
ask me why :-)). I would like to have my INBOX open at the same time
with Evo and with OutLook 2007 to use the Calendar function of OutLook;
is this parallel Evo/OutLook) somehow an issue in the sense that the
INBOX could get corrupt or whatever? I've played around a bit and an
incoming mail is presented in both, when I have read it in Evo, it is
marked as read in OutLook; when I delete the mail in Evo from INBOX it
disappears after some time in OutLook's view too;

Any concerns? thanks in advance

Using a good IMAP server (Cyrus) and the IMAPX provider in Evolution and
this should be perfectly safe.  I access my mailbox from multiple
clients all the time [typically Horde & Evolution, and occasionally
Pine/Outlook/eM;  I've never corrupted by INBOX].

The (potential) issue is not corruption but tranistory inconsistency.
IMAP does not guarantee that both clients are seeing the same version of
the mailstore at the same time, e.g. a message might be deleted in one
but not the other, moved in one but not the other etc. This will
eventually resolve, but it's good to be aware of it.

poc