Re: [Evolution] total amount of memorized mails and maildir

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:12:35 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

It's a two step process. ...

  Ah, thanks for that, Pete! Will give it a try.

In Kmail, one simply selects the type of folder, e.g. Maildir, Mbox...

If you already have an Mbox format mailbox full of mail then use
'mb2md' to convert it into a Maildir format store

  I already have the folders in Maildir format in KMail, so I can - by
starting all over again with Evo -  hand a copy of those to Evo. That's
the easy bit!
  The step I was short of was how to get Evo to read from a POP server
into those Maildir folders, and use SMTP to send from them.
   I understand from what you said that I can use an incoming filter
to direct incoming email to the Maildir folders, by first setting up a
Maildir 'account' and using that to fetch the POP Maildir messages.
   But I  still don't understand the apparent need to have *two*
accounts - together with filters -  just to be able to use Maildir with
POP & SMTP servers, with no Mbox folders in sight.  Confuses me.

I hope that's not The BCS that's charging extra for IMAP!

  No - it's ICUK, which is otherwise excellent.
But operating IMAP is an extra cost for an ISP, so as I don't actually
*need* IMAP, I don't use it.
  It's just Evo's apparent fixation with Mbox that is causing confusion.

--
/\/\aurice