Re: [Evolution] (no subject)

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 16:38 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
For many years I have been running Fedora (currently 12-13) at home on
PCs and getting my email from an office machine running some version
of RedHat Enterprise Linux.  I use evolution on my local home machine
as a mail agent and I use the office machine as a mail outgoing and
incoming server.

This is very vague;  your "office" machine receives mail and you access
it via IMAP?

But now I am in a state of almost complete collapse, and I would
appreciate whatever help I can get.
First let me describe some complications of the setup.  The mail comes
to the office machine but is displayed on the local machine in folders
on the local machine and in a few folders of the office machine used
for reading new mail and the like.

I have no idea what this means: "displayed on the local machine in
folders on the local machine"

 All of this was working fine, but within the past three days I
suddenly found I couldn't access new mail---those folders were no
longer displayed---nor could I send new mail from the local machine to
the office machine functioning as server.

Can you reach the office machine?

telnet office.example.com 25 # SMTP
telnet office.example.com 143 # IMAP

 Part of the reason for complications was that that transfer using ssh
failed because my ISP, comcast, changed the address of my local
machine which it does from time to time.

What does SSH have to do with mail?

I would have a few problems with this situation, but it is much worse
now for the following reason.  On or about Aug. 3, I upgraded my Linux
systems, and then on Aug. 8, I collided with a bicyclce, while riding,
the result being concussion in my 77 year old head.  I spent about two
weeks in the hospital recovering from this, and I was still able to
deal with my system after being let out.  But I am far from up to par
yet, and this is about the worst time I could be left with a problem
of this nature.
I have resolved some of the problem---as the discussion about
indicates---but I still can't either read incoming email or send
outgoing email by usual methods.

What are the "usual methods"?

Everything was fine until the latest change in email on the server and
local machine using evolution took effect.
So although it is possible that I just have to do a few more things to
get it all working,  I am not there yet.   If anyone can give me some
clues to help my 77 year old, somewhat concussed, brain resolve this
problem, I would really appreciate it.
P.S.  My wife also gets her mail on a Windows machine using
Thunderbird
with this setup, but usually, I resolve the problems using Linux, and
I would prefer to do it that way this time.   If absolutely necessary,
I can explore the Windows/Thunderbird route to help understand what is
happening, but I would like to avoid that if I can.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>