Re: [Evolution] Regenerating addressbook.db

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 01:01 -0800, Les wrote:
I just have to ask: Why obscure the location of the data and cache?

Because it's no one else's business where Evolution and E-D-S keeps its
private data.  Had we obscured those locations earlier, the transition
from ~/.evolution to XDG base directories would have been far less
disruptive to other applications.

Also, the XDG base directory specification [1] allows you to customize
those locations using environment variables, which is only possible if
applications are using the functions I mentioned earlier and not hard-
coding the directory paths themselves.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html