Re: [Evolution] "bounce" instead of forward

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 11:53 -0500, bryan bradsby wrote:
On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:15 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 10:05 -0500, bryan bradsby wrote:
I am the postmaster here.

I need a way to forward misdirected email but set the "envelope
from" (and "reply-to" if present) to the original sender.

I want the corrected recipient to reply to the original sender, not me.

Alpine calls this "bounce".

Message -> Forward As .. -> Redirect

Yes, but that still makes the "envelope from" me.

No it doesn't.  I've just tried it and it maintains the original From:
and To: headers, it doesn't add any Envelope-from: header and adds

I want to change that to the original sender, so the recipient "sees"
the email as coming from the original sender, and the recipient can
simply hit the reply button so the reply goes to the original sender,
not me.

Even if it did change any of the "envelope" headers the final MUA
shouldn't take any notice of them since they are meant to be used by the
MTAs to correctly aim bounces back to the correct person (i.e. if *you*
redirect it to a bad address, the originator shouldn't get the error
message, *you* should).

Using Forward As ... > Redirect works.  I use it daily for exactly the
same reason as you want to use it for. At one point I even hacked the
Evo XML files so that I had a "redirect" button.

P.