Re: [Evolution] Why I must stop using Evolution

(I also don't see why the operating system should have to do so much
with editing an appointment in Evo.)
Exactly.

It's not the OS, it's the distribution that's the issue - we all
(mostly) run the same OS, i.e. Linux! (OK, I know there's some BSDers
and Windows users out there - but you know what I mean.)

But there does seem to be more problems with Evo on Ubuntu than on any
other distro.  It's probably down to the way Evo, or one of the
libraries it links to, has been configured/compiled.

I want to report concerning the mysterious "loss" of data. I was
convinced that data was written in a bad way, such that it could not be
read again because I also tried Tasque which works on the Evo Data
Server as well. Here, also all entries were gone and that convinced me
that something was corrupt.

However, I restarted Evo a couple of times during the day (pseudo-naive
hope in indeterminism, I guess), and finally, everything could be seen
again, only the layers (Calendars, Tasks lists) were switched invisible.
How come? (I certainly did not uncheck them before closing Evo, and even
if I did, Tasque would have still displayed the items.)
This is probably do to the aforementioned crashing. Evo may have
"removed the checkmarks" as a self-preservation tactic of sorts. But
again, running from a shell in debug would help get to the bottom of
this. Also, and maybe firstly, ensure the checkmarks are indeed there
and restart(forced so that the data server shutdown as well).

As I said previously - if E-D-S dies, then all the calendars etc. are
disabled.  Try killing the E-D-S process while Evo is running and you
will see what I mean.

And if it is E-D-S that's the problem - and "Tasque" (whatever that is!)
is talking to E-D-S, then it will suffer from the same problems as Evo
does.

P.