Re: [Evolution] stability/stability

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 17:09 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I've seen occasional hangs with 2.26.3

Admittedly I am only using 2.26.1 (with a couple of patches from
subsequent releases) but that's because nothing in any of the bugs that
I have open indicate that a newer version will cure mail ails.  But I
see crashes daily, several times a day.

Have you reported them?

The lack of reported bugs is not the issue, trust me.  I have reported
many, many bugs.  In fact my "Unresolved Evolution bugs" search returns
36 currently.  That's just my reported bugs in case that wasn't clear.

Don't assume the devels know that there's a
problem, and don't just report it here as most devels don't read the
list.

"Devels" know about the bugs I am reporting.  I really don't think lack
of bug reporting is the issue here.  What appears (granted, from the
outside, so I only have one view) to be at issue here -- and Evolution
is not really any different than most other projects -- is that the
attraction of developing shiny, new, whiz-bang features is just far too
attractive for anyone to want to be stuck fixing bugs, especially the
fundamental design bugs, like the lack of scalability in the vfolder
code/degisn.  Or even the lack of vfolders just working correctly.

I'm sure everyone has heard my whining about vfolders and scaling and
whatnot.  My point really was that it's not a lack of bugs or developer
knowledge of problems that's preventing them from being fixed.

I have trouble just getting developers to post a progress update to
bugs, even after I have asked for one.  They won't even say "no
progress".  They just ignore the request.

Sadly, I am becoming more and more sceptical of Linux becoming a
workable alternative solution for my (mom's) desktop computing needs and
evolution is becoming a bigger part of that scepticism with every
release made.  I've been an evolution user since the early days and
given the past few releases, I'm really not holding my breath for 2.28.

Unfortunately, there is really just no viable alternative to the
functionality that evolution provides -- without cobbling together a
bunch of other/different apps that have no integration between them,

b.