[Evolution] Phishing virus

Evolution community,

        I use Ubuntu Hardy OS and Evolution to read email over Verizon
internet.  Verizon disabled my outgoing email for a day because I had
abusive sending from my computer.

        I installed Clam TK and found viruses called Phishing.  I deleted the
files.  They were in Evolution/mail/pop/name/cache/N, where N was a
series of folders with numbers.

        Running Clam TK to find viruses is hard because I needed to run it on
each of many folders before I found the viruses.  New viruses may come
as soon as I download more email.  Is there a better way to prevent
viruses?

Jim Martin