Re: [Evolution] Disaster strikes -- 4000 messages deleted

How was your Back-up made?
from withing Evolution, or just a copy of the folder?

personally, I use the internal back-up in Evolution to one file as extra, and  use rsync to an external drive.
Actually I do hat for my complete /home folder except my virtual machines.

I run that every day, it will only add, change or delete the changes after you have it executed once.It works really fast and has saved me few times.
I do this for my system partition too, and recovered not so long ago my full system from it after my hard drive just died (not even spinning or posting)
In less than 3 hrs My system was exact as it was before, including settings (restoring the 200 gb of data, took more time than the actual recovery)
I know you can use disk image systems, but I like to have full control over my data and able to see my backup data as it is. with the cost of hard drives today, I don't need a compression and rather have a native copy of the file available with all the permission settings kept in tact. >> rsync does that for you.

ex.

sudo rsync -avuE --del --progress --exclude='.gvfs' --exclude='temp' --exclude='.VirtualBox' /home/username/.  /media/archivemountpoint/

(username , your login user name, home folder)

if you are interested on simulating the archive options from outlook in evolution, I've posted a blog that seems to work very well for me, and keeps my database pretty lean. and will secure older data.

http://itchalkboard.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/archive-e-mails-in-evolution-ubuntu-8-049-04/

greetings,

M.Kojak.S