Re: [Evolution] migration

That would make sense. My observation was predicated on what Evo offers
when you select import - it appeared to list every email client *but*
Evo. I can certainly understand that there may have been significant
alterations to the data structures between the two releases. I've
always figured on that, and planned on having to perform some
conversions - I just haven't been able to find much in the way of
comprehensive details on just how to do that.

As someone else said, the best way would be to upload all your mail to
an IMAP server and then re-download it to your new installation - you
could possibly set up your own IMAP server locally to do it.  Contacts
can be exported and imported in VCARD or CSV; calendar can be dealt with
using ICAL files.

For all I know so far, I might be best advised to download some
intermediate release of Evo and upgrade my 1.4 to that first,
then proceed to extract *it's* version of the data for the eventual
2.24 installation.

Evo releases are largely tied to the Gnome releases so you probably
won't be able to install a packaged version, and you will probably have
trouble finding and compiling the source.  The only way you could do it
would be via an old distro such as FC4 or FC6.

But preserving my Contacts, Folders & Filters, and accumulated messages
from the old Evo version is clearly not a trivial process.

Filters are going to be the biggest issue.

From my original trip to the Ubuntu site a few weeks ago, I recall that
8.10 was the highest numbered release that was described as a
"long-term support" release. 9.04 was not so described, unless my memory
is faulty (always a distinct possibility<g>).

No, 8.04 is the LTS release - look for anything that has "LTS" in the
download title.

P.