Re: [Evolution] VFolders of VFolders are gone?

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 21:32 -0600, Akhil Laddha wrote:
On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 22:44 -0400, Andrew Montalenti wrote:
Hi evo-list,

I just upgraded from Hardy -> Intrepid on Ubuntu, which bumped my
Evolution version up to 2.24.3.  Most of my VFolders are no useless,

Yeah, welcome to my hell.

since I had a whole bunch of VFolders that referenced other VFolders.
These worked perfectly well in 2.22 but they don't work at all in 2.24.

Yup.  Join the crowd.

This isn't just an esoteric use case.  All my mail comes into various
subfolders of my Inbox, based on the originating account.  I then
aggregate all this mail into a "Virtual Inbox" which I call "All Mail".
All of my other VFolders then operate on the "All Mail" VFolder.

Ditto.

Therefore, this upgrade has broken all of my VFolders (all ~40 or so)
except for the "All Mail" one.

Yup, and given the weak state of the VFolder search syntax this renders
some kinds (combined and and or queries) of selections impossible.  Get
used to grubbing through folders and doing ad-hoc searches all the time.

Is this regression tracked anywhere (on bugzilla)?

Hrm.  Tracked -- for some value of the word.  I have been asking here
and in bugzilla for months when this feature will be fixed and I have
never gotten an answer.

There is a bugzilla bug stating the problem but nothing beyond that.  No
ETA of when this will be fixed.  No milestone selected.  No sign that
anyone is even working on it (if somebody is, update the bug and say so
please!)  It's like one of those bugs you file and it gets forever
ignored without even attracting a single comment.  The only bug activity
on the tracking bug is that it was filed and a few people have CC'd on
to it.

  It's pretty serious,
IMO.

I agree with you.  I have seen no sign that the developers do as well
though.  In fact I find it absolutely amazing that code was allowed to
land which knowingly rendered the overall product less complete than it
was before it landed and this incompleteness has been allowed to linger
on through two stable releases.

Personally, if I were a betting man, I'd bet we never see vfolders of
vfolders again.  If it was viewed important enough by the development
team to fix, then I think it would have probably been done by now.  It
will be one of those features that will be on the TODO list forever,
always being bumped down by some other new, "important", items.

If I am wrong about the above (and boy, would I love to be), then it
would be nice to have some developer(s) chime in and answer the ETA
questions.  Tell us what your plans are, because without any knowledge
of any plans, we have to just assume there are none.  The fact that I
have asked, directly, many times and not once gotten an answer is the
only answer I have gotten so far.

b.