[Evolution] Evo migration problems

I am attempting to migrate my settings and messages from an older version of Evolution on SuSE 9.2 to Evo 2.22.3.1 on Ubuntu 8.041.

The last migration that I did, I was instructed to do as follows and it worked fine:

A. In the old Evo, kill backend

sudo evolution --force-shutdown

and

sudo gconftool-2 --shutdown)

and then copy /home/kelly/.evolution and /home/kelly/.gconf/apps/evolution to a DVD

B. In the new system, move the existing /home/kelly/.evolution and the /home/kelly/.gconf/apps/evolution folders to a Temp folder and replace them with the above folders from the DVD.

C. Correct the permissions by running

sudo chmod -R ug+rw /home/kelly

and

sudo find /home/kelly -type d -exec chmod ugtx |{|} |;

D. Open Evo and follow the migration instructions.

I forgot to do C before D and ended up with messages from only one of several accounts that I have. There was no "migration" process as there was when I did this the last time. I have only one of several email accounts and, most importantly, I can't access my addressbook.

So, I went back and tried to do C and got error messages as follows:

sudo chmod -R ug+rw /home/kelly
[sudo] password for kelly:
chmod: cannot access `/home/kelly/.gvfs': Permission denied

and

sudo find /home/kelly -type d -exec chmod ugtx |{|} |;
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `|'

What am I doing wrong?

TIA   Kelly