[Evolution] GMail IMAP trash can not truly deleting

This is the first time I am posting to this list, so please pardon me if I have gotten a protocol wrong.  I am using Evolution 2.12.1 on Kubuntu 7.10.  (I prefer Evolution over Kontact in general, but especially due to better search capability and ability to use SyncEvolution).

I am using it to connect to my Gmail account via IMAP.  I love the use of IMAP to allow me to be syncronized across different machines, as well as web access, and also to have backups of my data (via use of Offline mode).

This situation is very satisfactory for me, with one notable exception.  Due to the vagaries of Gmail's preference to not delete anything, clicking the trash can icon in  evolution, the email is not really deleted, just moved to the 'archive' in Gmail.  I don't want this, I want it to be truly deleted.

I know this can be done in an email client, because the delete icon in Kontact, when configured with my Gmail account via IMAP, behaves properly.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Is there way for me to change the configuration of my Evolution account so that clicking on the trash can icon forces Gmail to behave properly and deleted the mail?

thanks.

Randy Earl
Randy Earl gmail com