Re: [Evolution] edit "from" field in composer (i.e. "+" address support for mailing lists :P )

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 10:14 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
Trying to be blunt, but not rude here, but it occurs to me that if it is
not too cumbersome to go to all of the trouble of creating new accounts
to subscribe to each list, why is it too cumbersome to add those
accounts to evolution?

The functionality you ask for seems most useful to spammers who wish to
forge the "from" header.  I would hope that evolution does NOT add this
functionality.  Is there a reason why you need separate addresses for
each list and why you don't want to actually USE those accounts on your
MUA?

I am going to guess this is why the 2005 post did not get any "useful"

To be perfectly clear, i do /not/ create separate machine or email
accounts for each list.  As i noted in my previous email:

"I use separate email addresses for all of the mailing lists i am
subscribed to (in the form user+list domain)..."

This is a normal, functional, and reasonably standard way of allowing
users to have many functional addresses (+suffix), based on one email or
machine account.  My MTA of choice, Postfix, refers to this as a
"recipient delimiter"; other MTAs have similar functionality under
different names.  See Wikipedia for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_address#Plus_.28or_Minus.29_addressing

As for the "why", that's quite simple: to keep some level of control
over how my email address is used by each of the various mailing lists,
forums, web sites, etc...  If my email address is harvested, sold,
hacked, or otherwise leaked, the (spam) impact to me is non-existant,
since i can simply i procmail the compromised address to /dev/null.

In the same vein, i can weight my anti-spam infrastructure based on the
address; for example, when i have to give an address to a website, i use
the form "dma+WEB[sitename]".  When my anti-spam system receives an
email with the "dma+WEB" string in the local-part, the email is
subjected to more checks than for something in the form "dma+LIST".

--
Daniel Maher <dma AT witbe.net>