Re: [Evolution] CalDAV - any successes out there

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 09:02 -0600, Peter Van Lone wrote:
On 2/16/07, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
<snip>
While I understand the need for an Exchange client
under Linux, I can't help wondering how much this distracts developer
attention from the rest of Evo.

>From the perspective of hoping to drive Linux desktop adoption into
the corporate world, Linux must have an enterprise-ready groupware
client that can replace Outlook with little or no loss of
functionality.

There are several (Zimbra and Scalix come to mind), just that they
aren't free if you want interoperability with Exchange.

These look like nice server solutions but what is needed is a client that can work flawlessly with Exchange without imap or pop support. I hate to say it but an Outlook clone. I personally don't like Outlook, even a bit.

I will look into the above products closer to see if they could do what I need.

Evolution has been touted as just that ... but thus far (IMHO) has
fallen considerably short -- and is actually pretty weak. Its poor
showing has cost linux 2 desktop rollouts that I personally was hoping
to assist with. I'm certain that there are many more.

No doubt, which is why I said I understood the reasons for wanting this
funcionality, even though it's of no interest to me personally or in
fact to anyone I work with. I'm in a University and there are no
Exchange installations within shouting distance, but we still need good
groupware.

Something that can be made to work with the Exchange instead of going through the Outlook Web Access which basically makes working with Exchange a total PITA. This is a productivity killer.

This has totally turned most of the Linux users here off Evolution.

I would like to just find some decent documentation on Evolution Connector.

Of course if the Evolution Connector was designed properly, then any mail client could be used with Exchange server and the Evolution developers could focus on making Evolution much better.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.