[Evolution] plugin state

I was looking around for decent documentation about the plugin system
for evolution. More specific I wanted to see if it is already possible
to develop plugins that can be dropped in without having to completely
link it in eds or evolution itself. Like the plugin system firefox has
for example.

I was kinda suprised about the lack of documentation. So is there a
place somewhere in the wild internet where one can find uptodate, no
nonsense, complete information and documentation about the plugin system
of evolution?

Ron