[Evolution] compiling on Freebsd

I am trying to get evolution 2.8.0 to generate a Makefile on FreeBSD
6.1. the configure fails like so:
checking for Win32... no
checking for iconv in -liconv... no
checking for iconv... no
configure: error: You need to install a working iconv implementation, su
ch as ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv

and this is from my config.log

/evolution-2.8.0]$ tail -n 20 config.log
#define HAVE_STRING_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
#define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
#define PACKAGE "evolution"
#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT
"http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Evolution";
#define PACKAGE_NAME "evolution"
#define PACKAGE_STRING "evolution 2.8.0"
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME "evolution"
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.8.0"
#define STDC_HEADERS 1
#define UPGRADE_REVISION "0"
#define VERSION "2.8.0"
#define VERSION_COMMENT ""
#define YYTEXT_POINTER 1
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;

configure: exit 1

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or how to correct?

-vizo-

--
"Nor aught availed him now
To have build in Heaven high towers    Nor did he scape