Re: [Evolution] alluring evolution topic #081379: "DATA command failed: Connection timed out."

Hey William,

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 13:05 -0500, William Thomas Deans wrote:

Problem One:
      I am using Fedora Core 3 with Evolution 2.0.4.  I wanted to send
someone about 400K of text so I pasted it into their e-mail and
evolution crashed.  I tried twice more and it always crashed.  I ended
up attaching the text but see problem two below.
This was some issue with gtkhtml that has been fixed in the the 2.4
cycle. Upgrading gtkhtml and evolution, that should surely solve this
issue, and similar such issues w.r.t editing/composing/rendering of
mails using gtkhtml.

Problem Two:
      When I try to send an e-mail with an attachment I get the error box
"Evolution Error", STOPSIGN, "Error while performing operation.", "DATA
command failed: Connection timed out.", OK.  I understand that the
attachment is just encoded as text so the timeout could probably be
produced by sending a large e-mail without an attachment as well but I
cannot verify because of problem one above.
      Even if this is not an Evolution error, even if it is an SMTP error of
some sort please advise on how to fix and if someone reading is an
Evolution developer please improve the quality of the error message
reported back by evolution so that people will have a better idea what
to do.
Like you said it yourself, this actually is not an Evolution issue. A
connection timeout issue obviously. There is nothing much as is we can
do in evolution. I have sent mails which are in MB have never faced a
timeout issue from my SMTP server. Connection Timeout is too generic an
error to actually suggest anything.
Am not sure what caused this problem though.

Cheers,
partha