[Evolution] Can't send emails through exchange server

For the last eight hours, evolution (2.2.1, under Suse 9.3) has refused to send two emails I've been trying to send through our exchange server.   When I hit F9 (send/receive), of the three progress bars, the one labelled: "Server: webmail.vu.edu.au, Type: exchange" just hangs there with the message "Sending message 1 of 2", and no progress.  I've tried closing and restarting evolution several times, but it hasn't helped.

I don't know whether this is an exchange problem, or an evolution problem, or something else, but it's very frustrating, as one of the two things I expect any email system to be able to do is to send mail!

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,
Alasdair