[Evolution] Typing 8-bit characters in Evolution's Composer?

How is it done?

Every <mail|news> program that I have used until now provided a
default editor and gave the option to use an external editor.

If Evolution provides a similar option, I (a recent arrival) have
failed to find it.  If the option does not exist, how do I enter 8-bit
characters into the supplied Composer from a US keyboard?  It is an
option that I need relatively rarely, but I would like to be prepared.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)