Re: [Evolution] Logging out of GNOME while Evolution is still open??

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the additional input ya all :).

Are Canadians allowed to say "ya all"?  Aren't you only allowed
to say, "hozers, eh"?

Well I'll let you in on a little secret :).  I'm actually an American
who lived in Florida before I came up North.  Although I have been more
or less thoroughly Canadianized (and freezing to death ever since) there
is still a bit of that down South drawl in me that comes out once in a
while :).

Does anyone know how to get Evolution to use Maildir?

Tools->Settings->"Mail Accounts"->Add

One of the server types is Maildir.

Yeah I saw that once before but I don't understand something.  I have
several accounts that retrieve email and then through filters put the
email in various folders.  If I set these accounts to Maildir they will
no longer be POP and will thus no longer be able to retrieve email.  Or
at least it would seem so.

So how do I get Evolution to save emails in Maildir format while telling
it to use POP retrieval?

Speaking of not loosing anything through the use of Maildir I am not
sure that's entirely accurate by the way :).  I was using Maildir under
KMail for over a year until it corrupted hundreds of my emails through a
bug it had that corrupted the indexes.

I don't see how corrupted indexes could mangle the emails.  With
Evo, shut it down, delete the indexes and restart.  Evo should
then rebuild the indexes.  I bet the same is true with KMail.

In theory yeah but I was bit by a NASTY and documented bug in KMail that
turned hundreds of my emails to trash and replaced the Subject showing
up in KMail with "no subject" or some such.  When that happened, along
with the KMail toolbars being messed up big time on switching back to a
more stable version of KDE I plunged headlong into Gnome and Evolution.
And I am very glad I did.

Still Maildir is supposed to be a more robust form of email storage from
what I have read.

That's yet another horrible thing about Outlook: one tiny bit
of corruption, and all your emails in all your folders, are poof.

Ouch!  That doesn't sound very good at all.  Must be a very rare thing
as I have hardly ever heard of anyone's emails being corrupted by
Outlook.

Carlos