Re: [Evolution] Maildir vs. POP functionality

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 10:28 -0400, Steve Listopad wrote:
On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 10:51 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
Umm, the whole point of maildir is that it doesn't move, it *should*
stay where it is.

I don't understand this comment, since I never suggested/recommended
moving anything.

Well, I did explain that I was using POP, and then switched to
Maildir, with the note that I was guessing that the behavior was

All of us (residential users) use POP.  See below.

expected.  I was hoping that someone could offer some clarification
and hints (thanks, Ron, for your sugguestions!).  My situation is that
I've got a lot of email stored under Evolution's directories, and now
I also have a lot of mail in Maidir (didn't realize Maildir's storage
behavor right away, because I was moving mail to 'subfolders' in the
application, without noticing that the actual mail stayed in Maildir).

Yes, but you need an aggravating work-around.

If qmail drops each mail into ~/Maildir, then you should think
about installing Courier IMAP, and then having Evo access mail
via IMAP.  Works great for me, and is MUA-independent, so if Evo
ever gets cantankerous, you can still read your email.

Ron, thanks for your suggestion.  I will have to investigate Courier
IMAP - that'll be something completely new to me.  But, hey, it's
something to do :)

That's the main reason I did it: geek factor!

Now, instead of clicking on the Evo Send/Receive button, fetchmail
grabs my email every 5 minutes (6 minutes for the spousal unit),
passes it to the SMTP (postfix, in my case), which passes it thru
SpamAssassin and on to mailfilter, which drops it into the correct
Maildir folder.  On the Evo side, an IMAP "mail account" is the only
active account, and is set to "check for new email every _2_ minutes",
and "check for new mail in all folders", so that Evo will see the
new mail that mailfilter is dropping in.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true."
Albert Einstein