Re: [Evolution] Frustrated with this!

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 22:43 -0500, Andrew Conkling wrote:

I'm STILL trying to install from CVS, but there's next to no
documentation for these errors I'm getting.  At least nothing I've been
able to understand.

So I compiled/installed libsoup.  Put it in /opt/libsoup_CVS, with the
rest of my CVS programs.  Then, when I configured gtkhtml, I got the
following error:

checking for libsoup-2.2 >= 2.1.8... Package libsoup-2.2 was not found
in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libsoup-2.2.pc'

OK, so I did this:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/libsoup/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Shouldn't this be /opt/libsoup_CVS/???

When I reconfigured, I got the same error!  Blast!

Sorry for being frustrated, but I have little time to mess with this,
and every time I do, it's the same stupid errors.  Can anyone help?

If you have little time, I would guess jhbuild or similar would be the
way to go.  With jhbuild make sure you specify only evolution as the
target (unless you want more of gnome 2.5.x), because otherwise it cna
end up bringing in the world (e.g. mozilla).

I recently gave up trying to do it myself and went with jhbuild, it took
a long time to get it going (for some reason i had a problem nobody else
seems to get), but before that, an approach that makes it a lot easier
is to install everything in one /opt location, like /opt/gnome2, rather
than having one per thing - the auto* macro's and pkgconfig stuff
becomes a much more painful task to maintain if you use a separate dir
for every package.