Re: [Evolution] No way yet to make maildir default format ?

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 19:37, John J. Foster wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't maildir a more efficient
format for alot of users? Why take that choice away?

This makes searching for individual emails with tools like grep
impossible.

Eh?

grep "some search string" mbox_of_choice

works just fine for me. That is the beauty of the mbox format, very
popular, portable, ascii text format, easy to slice and dice with your
favourite unix style command line or data munching tools.

It seems that the more you folks try to emulate Outlook, the more your
attitude becomes like theirs also. What's next, proprietary mailbox
format?
I thought I had found a mailer I could stick with for awhile. Let the
search begin again.

Given that the Evolution folks have produced what many judge the fullest
featured, most stable mail client that works fairly well with <ick>
outlook servers, those are some fairly snide comments.

Compared to many development projects they are incredibly available and
responsive to us user types. Try asking for help, or better yet whining
about some feature to the X team... or better yet try talking to
Microsoft developers about Outlook.

cheers,
brad

--
Brad Warkentin <brad warkentin rogers com>