Re: [Evolution] Evolution/IMAP recommendation?

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 20:48, Joe Mahoney wrote:

Any opinions on which IMAP server works best with Evolution? I'll be
retiring my works ancient IMail box soon and I have the luxury of
picking the server software to suit my mail client.

If you're looking for something that's quick and easy to install, that
would probably be Dovecot.

If you want a big, full-featured, scalable server, that's Cyrus. Another
advantage of Cyrus is that it has server-side filtering, using Sieve.
With it, you can setup mail filters on the server, and all IMAP clients
will take advantage of that automatically.
Most webmail applications (IMP, Squirrelmail) have Sieve plugins, and
that's a convenient way to administer your filters.

Actually, i'm using Cyrus even though i'm the only user, precisely
because of Sieve; with it, i get the same filtering functionality no
matter what's the IMAP client i'm using (two workstations running Evo, a
webserver running Squirrelmail, and another webserver running IMP).

I look forward to the day when Evolution will be able to "talk Sieve"
with the Cyrus IMAPd server.

I've seen a lot of examples of shitty IMAP servers causing problems with
Evo on this list so if anyone (especially Jeff or Not Zed) have a
preferred server, please let me know.

I actually have a feeling that the IMAP code in Evolution is just
reaching maturity. I could be wrong, but i've seen issues with Evo on
IMAP servers where other clients worked fine.
However, i didn't test Evo-1.5 yet, so have a grain of salt ready.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/