[Evolution] BUG: frozen while looking up new mail

I'm using Evolution-1.4.5-7 on Linux Fedora Core 1 (it's the default Evo
package provided by Fedora), with Cyrus IMAPd 2.2.3. I'm using the IMAP
protocol, plain text authentication (Evo and Cyrus are on the same box,
so it does not matter). Evo is setup to check the Inbox every minute.
The /home/user/evolution folder is on the same partition (indeed, on the
same SCSI spindle) as the Cyrus spool, because Cyrus on my system is
setup to use /home/cyrus as the spool (not the default /var/spool/imap).
I'm running my own MTA, which is Postfix-2.0.11-5, which delivers mail
to Cyrus via LMTP over a Unix socket (default configs all over the
place).
Evo sends out mail via the local MTA, using the "sendmail" executable.

Everything's mostly fine, with one exception: Evo gets locked up hard
every time it checks the Inbox. It's only for a few seconds, and after
that it resumes normal functioning, but during those moments nothing
works, i cannot even type into the Composer, or if i copy/paste text
outside Evo and i hit CTRL-V exactly when it's frozen, it will wait
until the lookup is over.
This is not a regular "the system is too loaded to serve new requests"
type of thing. It is a hard lock, the CPU is mostly idle, the SCSI is
mostly idle, but Evo is 100% unresponsive for like 5 seconds or so.

It is very annoying.

Sure, probably it would help if my Cyrus server was a bit faster, but
anyway, in my uneducated opinion, Evo should not get totally blocked
while waiting for an event to complete, especially a network event.
It looks like the user interface and some network stuff is in the same
program loop, or something, and one blocks the other.
If that's true and it's not a screwup of my own design, then it's a bug
that needs to be fixed.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/