Re: [Evolution] moving old mail; accounts; and filters to a new user

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 03:21, Not Zed wrote:
No there isn't any online tutorial, perhaps there should be.

Email is fine, just copy the entire evolution directory to the new
username.

Thinker, as you changed the user name (and distro!) you likely will have
other UID/GID. You will have to adjust them for *any* copied file for
security and probably accessibility reasons.

I recently created and am using a new user name on SuSE 8.2. I would
like to transfer my ALL of my mail, accounts, and filters to the new
user name.

What is the correct procedure for doing this? Also, I have old mail
backed up on a CD from an evolution installation on Mandrake 9.1. I
would like to import these values into the new install as well.

As these files are on a CD (not tar ball I assume) you probably should
adjust file permissions to the ones in your ~/evolution/local/ folder
and subsequent files.

Copying the entire structure to your local folders should work, as long
as the folder names do not interfere (make sure to not overwrite
anything)!

If there are identical named mailboxes (like INBOX) on the backup as
well as your current Evo local folders, the following steps should work
to get a folder 'temp' with the entire backed up structure as subfolders
(including INBOX, etc):

Close Evolution.

$ cd ~/evolution/local
$ cp -R Outbox/ temp
$ sed "s/Outbox//" temp/folder-metadata.xml > temp/xml
$ mv temp/xml temp/folder-metadata.xml
$ mkdir temp/subfolders

Now copy the entire backed up structure (the old ~/evolution/local/*
directories) into the just created ~/evolution/local/temp/subfolders/
directory.

Start Evolution again and you should have all the backed up mails again.

Please be careful, a backup comes in handy to not accidentally delete
anything. Paranoia saves your day...

btw: The sed command and the following mv make sure to not have the XML
file call it "Outbox". As I just copied my Inbox to test this into the
created subfolder/ and it did no harm being named "Inbox", I assume this
is bogus -- but I am not sure and it won't hurt anyways. ;-)

...guenther