Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.4.5 SMTPS / STARTTLS question

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 11:31, Dan Winship wrote:
out of curiosity, what do other mail clients do (well, ones that support
both methods of using SSL)? Do they connect to 25 first and try
STARTTLS? or port 465?

I don't know exactly; However I've no problem with Outlook / Mozilla
users. The only problem I noticed was with Evolution; but both Mozilla /
Outlook gives you the opportunity to choose a port number for SMTP, so I
suppose they choose what method to use depending on the port number.

Evolution lets you do this too... you could specify "servername:25" for
the hostname, although I'm not sure exactly how it will behave in this
case. It might try to first do SMTPS on port 25, fail, and then try
SMTP+STARTTLS.

yea, I'm pretty sure that is how it would attempt to connect.

Jeff

-- Dan