Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.4.x missing "feature" ???

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 05:21, Peter Pavlovich wrote:
1. the killev command line script is no longer easily accessible (I
used to be able to just type killev at the command line and it would
execute). I know that it is still there and that I can still execute
it by altering my "path" or including the full path to the file on the
command line. However, this used to be taken care of for me, and now
it isn't.

The new way to do this is:
evolution --force-shutdown
or
evolution-1.4 --force-shutdown

depending on what the binary is called.

2. More importantly, and more distressing to me, is the removal of a
very useful feature that I LOVED in the older versions of evolution.
When you had one or more new message or reply-to message windows up (I
often edit a bunch of messages and leave them up while I gather info
for them or just contemplate what I want to say before I send them),
if, for whatever reason, evolution crashed or had to be forcably
killed due to a UI lock-up or a system reboot, upon re-starting
Evolution and attempting to either reply to a message or create a new
message, a dialog would appear informing you that Evolution detected
unsaved messages and asked it you wanted it to attempt to recover
those messages for you. If you replied in the affirmative, it would
recreate all of those lost messages and open each in its own window
... and then create the new/reply message that you had originally
requested as well. I cannot tell you how many times this feature saved
my sanity and countless hours of my time!!!!!

The auto-recovery feature is there (I know from experience).  It does
not "fire up" when you create a new message, but rather when you start
evolution.  When you restart evolution it will immediately prompt you to
recover messages that had been auto saved.  You can find any autosaved
files, if any, by "ls ~/.evolution*"

Lonnie Borntreger