Re: [Evolution] Automatically creating contacts from received email?

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 10:49, Brian Button wrote:
I've search bugzilla and the ximian site to see if this is possible, but
I've found nothing.

I'd like to have Evo automatically create new contacts for senders and
other recipients of emails that I get. Is this possible with the way Evo
is now, or is it being planned for the future? If not, I suppose I could
write it... :)

pretty sure this is already filed in bugzilla, but I'm unaware of what
the timeline is for that feature. It should be listed under the mailer
component I think, if I'm not mis-remembering. Might be marked as
Future?

Anyways, it's not possible with evolution 1.2 (but I'm sure you gathered
that already). If you'd like to take a stab at it, go for it.
Unfortunately I'm not sure where you should begin tho.

I think there is some code in the mailer that handles right-clicking on
email address links in the preview pane, which pops up a little dialog
asking the user if he/she wants to add the contact. You'll probably want
to just skip the prompt I guess? Since there is already the right-click
method, there will be some overlap between it and the feature you want -
so there will probably need to be a checkbox option to auto-collect
addresses or not. Eithr that, or perhaps th auto-collect would collect
the addresses into a separate Addressbook? I think that's what Outlook
Express does (What Would Outlook Do?).

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast