Re: [Evolution] Sync or share....do multiple instances work?

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 05:09, Joshua Rochester wrote:
I'm looking to run Evolution on multiple systems simultaneously, and I
want to make sure what I'm doing won't corrupt the databases for
contacts, tasks, and calendars. Do any (all) of these configurations
work without conflict?

1) Running multiple instances of Evolution on differnt X displays (vnc
clients, etc) from the same user account at the same time?

can't do this mostly because of the way oafd works. Another problem
would be that the config databases might not be safe, I'm not really
sure.

2) Sharing the ~/evolution directory (nfs, smb, afs!?) on multiple
systems and running simultaneous Evolution clients at the same time?

The mailer does proper file locking on mailboxes, but like I said above
I don't think that bonobo-conf (the config database engine) does. I'm
not sure about the rest of Evolution either, I doubt ETable locks it's
spec-files for example. I'm not sure that wombat does file locking
either, although it probably should? Maybe libdb3 handles that for you,
I'm not really sure.

3) Running a file synchronization utility on live data files to allow
disconnected clients to share the same profile?

I'd be wary of this approach. I can't say that it won't work, but I
can't say that it will either - I'd say it depends on the answers for
the above question. I'd also make sure that your sync utility uses file
locking.

4) Somehow wiring a remote evolution station to interoperate through
corba with the bonobo data store on a different machine?

I don't think oafd is capable of doing this, but I could be wrong?

Jeff

Thanks,
Joshua Rochester