Re: [Evolution] FRQ: Pipe incoming mail through AntiVirus tools

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 12:15, Matthias Hentges wrote:
Am Don, 2002-07-11 um 13.44 schrieb Xavier Bestel:
Le jeu 11/07/2002 à 13:21, Matthias Hentges a écrit :
Using a filter to scan mails for viruses would be a damn great thing to
see in Evolution.

I can't see the point: I've never heard of any (real) virus on Linux.
And Evolution isn't to be ported to Windows.

Well you are right. Today there are very few Linux viruses (but they
*do* exist). The point is that when Linux becomes more mainstream,
people *will* write a whole sh*tload of viruses. And IMO its only a
question of time that someone finds a way to use a buffer overflow /
some bug in a mail-reading software for linux to spread worms.

The best point in having an AV solution for Evolution is "to be
prepared." Viruses *will* apear. Take my word for it.

But i have another point. My mails are stored on an IMAP server. From
time to time i do login with windows (from my old trusty laptop, maybe
twice a year hehe).
It would *really* s*ck if i would infect me with a Virus from some
3-month-old mail which didnt do any harm on linux.

I bet i'm not the only one who is reading their mails with Linux *and*
Windows :)

BTW: Whats the correct english plural for "virus" ?
(as you can undoubtedly see, english is not my native language :)

Hi Matthias,
        "Virii" is the plural of "virus" (I bet that was obvious :).  I know a
lot of people use "viruses", so it may be acceptable when talking about
a computer virus.  I also thought I'd point out a few others, since
you're nice enough to ask about "virus".  "Didnt" and "whats" require
apostrophes, since they are contractions.  In other words, "didn't" and
"what's" are correct, since you are trying to say "did not" and "what
is".  Also, "its" requires an apostrophe if you are trying to say "it
is" (again, a contraction).
        By the way, your English is quite good.  Much better than my German. :)

Best regards,
Dan

--

Matthias Hentges

Contact-Information:

E-Mail Home:          eebe gmx net
My Homepage:          http://www.hentges.net

You can get my public PGP or GnuPG key from
http://www.hentges.net/keys.html