Re: [Evolution] sudden loss of config

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 01:37, Michael Gruner wrote:
Yesterday it did happen again: I exited evo. Imediatly after that I
wanted to exit my windowmaker session. My screen got black and nothing
more happend. There was no reaction on pressing any keys.

Today in the morning I started my PC trying to fetch my mails but the
evo config was blown away :-(

So I think the config gets lost if the PC stealths imediatly after evo
is shutted down?!

I'm taking a complete stab in the dark here, since I've never had this
happen in Evolution. But I have had it happen in Mozilla, and maybe this
applies here as well.

We get frequent, short power outages here in Canadian farm-land, and I
still haven't invested in a UPS. Sometimes a power failure will occur
just as I have Mozilla open and am reading some email. When I reboot and
try to restart Mozilla, I find that my profile seems to have vanished,
along with all my settings. Mozilla asks me to create a new profile (and
doesn't even auto-create a default one). After a bit of checking around,
I realized that my profile was in fact still there and still intact. The
.mozilla directory does contain all my settings and emails. But within
the profile's directory, there's a file called "lock" which tells
Mozilla that the profile is currently in use and should not be accessed
by a new session. This prevents the same profile files from being
changed from 2 or more different sources simultaneously (which would be
disastrous on the email files). Mozilla usually deletes this "lock" file
automatically when you exit the app, but when the computer is suddenly
turned off by a power failure, that file isn't deleted. So Mozilla
refuses to use that profile and load those settings. Manually removing
that file fixes everything, and I'm able to load up my original profile
again (no settings or emails are ever lost either).

So, to summarize this unnecessarily long email, are you absolutely sure
your evolution settings directory in the /home/[user]/evolution folder
has been wiped out? Or are all the settings and emails still sitting
there, unusable because of some generic lock file?

Frank