[Evolution] assertion failure, slow (1 Mbit) X connection

Using the release version of evo, I just got an assertion failure that
took it down.

I was composing a reply, and had just cut some text from one part of the
message and pasted it to another when the body panel disappeared. I
decided to just close the whole message and let it save the draft so I
could restart evo and continue. At that point I got an Error popup and
the command window from which I started evo showed this:

evolution-shell-CRITICAL **: file e-storage-set-view.c: line 2040
(e_storage_set_view_set_current_folder): assertion 'path != NULL &&
g_path_is_absolute (path)' failed.

BTW, I'm running over a T1 from the office to an X server at home (cable
modem) in an ssh tunnel so bandwidth is relatively low, and evo is kinda
sluggish. Drag and drop is essentially unusable at this speed. Any
suggestions on how to make evo a little more usable under these
conditions?