Re: [Evolution] spamassassin

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 19:04, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
While the mail is not actually rejected, it appears to the spammer as if
it was sent to a non-existent address on the server.  If the spammer is
gathering and using this information, it thinks that the address is
"dead" and deletes it from its database.  It is a way of unsubscribing.

Unfortunately, this isn't always, or even usually, true. Spammers have
evolved and now forge the "From:" and "From" headers, as well as several
"Received" headers, all intended to obscure the original path of the
email. The net result is that a bounce generated when not in contact
with the original SMTP agent sending the mail will most likely not reach
the original sender.

I wish we could close all open relays, and yet I detest those who run
mailers which blindly obey the various blackhole databases. *sigh*

--j