Re: [Evolution] Memory Usage

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 21:45, Adam Williams wrote:
Here's a snapshot from top.  Is it just me, or is this a HUGE amount of
memory.  I've only got one instance of evo started, so why the massive
hit to RAM?  Why six processes?  Oh, don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS
No, it's not just you. It's evolution using POSIX threads to achieve
multitasking in a single process. POSIX threads are implemented using
clone() call and most utilities like top and ps can't handle or display
process threads right.
Actually it's just one process with a few threads and it actually does
not consume that much memory.
19Mb isn't "that much memory"!?

No,  not for email + contacts + calendar + task list.

the 19M was only for evolution-mail which doesn't include the contacts,
calendar or task list components.

Good old pine takes a minimum of 3Mb.

And don't forget to subtract SHARE,  pages shared with other processes.
You only load one copy of libgtk no matter how many gtk apps you use.

even after this it's pretty big. Of course, on my machine with all my
folders open, evolution-mail takes up ~75M. *That's* big :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.