Re: [Evolution] news groups

Hi Eric,

On Thu, 2001-09-27 at 13:28, Eric Lambart wrote:
This raises a good point.

Uh hey, mailer guys... don't you think maybe this option should be
"disappeared" for folks with no IMAP email accounts set up at all?  I
think this will confuse the majority of people once the general public
gets a hold of Evolution if they're only using POP accounts.

The reason we can't do this is because Camel, our email backend,
abstracts subscription mechanisms (so that, for instance, if NNTP is
supported, you could use that dialog for both NNTP and IMAP), and we
really don't want to break that abstraction.

Right now, when the dialog is created, we asynchronously poll each
server to check to see if it supports subscriptions. I've got a note
somewhere that if no servers support subscriptions, we should tell this
to the user; otherwise the interface is indeed confusing.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to add some code the subscribe dialog to
change the little label in the middle of the dialog to something more
helpful if all the servers report that they don't support subscriptions.

Peter

--
Peter Williams     peter newton cx / peterw ximian com

"Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who
sucks!"                              -- Michael Bolton