Re: [Evolution] imap trash folder

On Thu, 2001-11-29 at 13:08, Scott Otterson wrote:
Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
 > There really isn't a "standard IMAP trash folder" thing.

Hmm... yes, I suppose the IMAP standard doesn't require a trash folder.

 > We use a virtual Trash folder, but we might add support for a physical
 > trash folder for maybe 1.2 or 1.4 or something.

I looked at how virtual folders worked and it appears that -- if they
are to emulate the function of an IMAP trash folder -- they would
require you to leave all delete-marked email in your inbox without doing
an expunge.  Am I right about that?

Yes.

There are a couple of disadvantages to this.  First, IMAP downloads
would be very slow, since you'd need to download all those unexpunged
headers every thime you log on.

No it wouldn't, we cache this information locally.

Second, a different IMAP mailer on a
different machine, say emacs or outlook, won't know anything about evo's
virtual folder; all it could do is to look at the unexpunged email.
That's undesirable since a user would need to scroll through a mix of
new and old deleted stuff.

No, the mailer would only show non-deleted messages.

This would also create a potential for error
since other IMAP mailers may be set up to automatically move
delete-marked email to an IMAP trash folder.  In fact, even if you're
always using evo, I don't understand how evo's on different machines
could  know about each other's virtual folders.

Why would they need to know about each other's vfolders? They don't.

Seems like most IMAP users will be on multiple machines and many of them
  will be using multiple IMAP mailers (my case).  Virtual folders seem
best suited to the case where you're always using the same machine and
mailer.

Not true at all, well, except for the "same mailer" part - but that's
only because no other IMAP client supports vFolders.

Am I understanding this correctly?  Any chance that a true IMAP trash
folder could be implemented sooner than 1.2 or 1.4?

No, 1.0 is basically read right now - no new features will be added.

Jeff

PS: keep in mind that Pine does not move messages to any Trash folder,
it just marks them as Deleted - same as Evolution.

On another note, Outlook can be configured to view deleted messages or
to move them to "Deleted Items" (this is another point, not every mailer
calls the Trash folder by the same name so it's really impossible to be
compatible with all other mailers with reguards to IMAP trash anyway).

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.