Re: [Evolution] Evolution over ethernet

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 19:46, Janne Morén wrote:
A reason people haven't run it remotely is probably that it's quite
painful to do so; part of it is the constant redrawing (which is barely
noticeable locally, but is slow over the net), and partially because
it's so difficult  (or, at least, was) to get it running over an SSH
connection at all. Only after a remote 'killev' and 'oaf-slay' would I
get anything more than just the mail-shell (and then only sometimes -
looked like a timeout issue or something).

I guessed at the time that it was a problem with my X install, but
perhaps not; I tried exporting Evo to my SGI machine, running IRIX 6.5.
Didn't get any toolbars at all, but it was usable using right-clicks to
choose things like reply.  It /is/ a very old X install, but other apps
(mozila, other gtk mail clients) export to it fine.  Any ideas, guys?

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris void $a | www.$a | finger: chris $a
As to luck, there's the old miners' proverb: Gold is where you find it.