[Evolution] Design question (Why Berkeley DB?)

So I've been reading about how it is important to get the right
version of Berkeley DB from Sleepycat and all, and it made me think:
Why use Berkeley DB?  Was a comparison against GDBM and PostgreSQL and
MySQL made?  What criteria were used?  How did Berkeley DB come to be
chosen?  I don't have anything against Berkeley DB - I've been using
it for a looong time (almost 10 years, I think).  I'm just curious.

                                                Hal

--
Hal J Eisen, TMWTMOASS                                eisen dunhackin org
http://www.dunhackin.org/~eisen              Laziness, Impatience, Hubris