Re: [Evolution] Ximian Connector?

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 19:19, Chris Ball wrote:

How will Evo(GPL) handle this when Evo(Proprietary) appears?  Is it really
planned to have a version of iCal that wanders around client->client
as well as a version that talks to servers?

I wonder that myself.  I hope that Ximian will develop an open source
calendaring backend.  But I don't begrudge them for trying to make money
in the meantime ...

It all sounds a bit, um, icky.  And I'm guessing that the development of
the connector isn't going to be at all publically discussed.

That might be jumping the gun a bit.  Maybe they will solicit the help
of the Evolution community.  This is the first we, the community, has
heard of this plugin but that's not to say Ximian won't ask for some
field testing ...

And I'm a
little frustrated that the mail client that I thought was this huge
effort on the part of the community to write the app that's going to
be a /huge/ part in bringing Linux to the desktop

Uh, it *IS* all that.  There are plenty of us using open standards
compliant mail servers (that speak POP/IMAP) to which Evolution is a
godsend.  I've used Unix for years and I was tired of having a pretty
desktop and still having to read my mail in an f'ing xterm because no
graphical email client supported IMAP worth a damn (don't say
"Netscape!"  It sucked as a browser and it sucked as an email client).
In its present incarnation, Evolution is MIGHTY fine and appreciated.

is only going to be
the answer to Outlook in a "Yeah, use Evolution.  It's cool.  Oh, but
you have to pay for Exchange interoperability." way, and that no-one
mentioned this before.  Feels almost like we have to start again, to
find another way of arguing "Linux is free.  You can do _this_ with it."
to our bosses.

The better question is which is cheaper:  licensing multiple copies of
Outlook or the Evolution plugin?

Brian