Re: [Evolution] Red Carpet downtime

On 23 Apr 2001 18:35:20 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
Actually, I'm not convinced the issue is the beta status of the
software.  My beef is that your loyal beta testers and cheerleaders
were kept in the dark about the outage.  I interpret that as a lack of
respect for us.  I think that an email going out on this mailing list
or a message posted on the web site would have been courteous.

For the record, an email was sent out a few days ago when the outage
happened to the Red Carpet mailing list at red-carpet ximian com  The
evolution mailing list isn't the right venue for such announcements.

This isn't good enough.  The type of people that red-carpet is aimed at
isn't the type of people that subscribe to the red-carpet development
list.  Sure it's in beta, but there are a lot of people helping to test
it who aren't going to subscribe to this list.

I believe that Ximian needs to post this sort of thing on their web site
so that there is a reference point for this sort of thing.  Some story
with "big changes to red-carpet", "new gnome-1.4 download", etc.  This
would be far more interesting to the average ximain gnome user than
press releases about new CEO's.

As for the Evolution snapshots, someone else said it perfectly: these
are nightly, automated snapshots, are pretty unstable, and not tested
before they are posted. I think people have taken the relative stability
of the snapshots (compared to Mozilla, for example) for granted. I
didn't even notice the problem between the snapshot and the RC package
until someone pointed it out. That said, we have not been oblivious to
the problems and they are being fixed.

I agree 100%.  evolution is in beta.  It's being tested.  Users
(testers) need to accept that shit will happen.  Unfortunately for
ximian it's one of the best mail clients out there even thou it's still
in beta) so people are using like it's released, and that means they
expect it to work.  They shouldn't, but they do!

I agree that putting something up on the website would have been
helpful, and I am definitely pushing for that in the future, but we've
all been more busy than normal with the next version of our desktop, and
some things have regrettably fallen through the cracks.

Fair enough.  Hopefully Ximian will communicate more with it's users.
There's nothing worse than being in the dark.

By the way, thanks for the great software.  I really appreciate what you
guys are doing for me.

mintSlice

Thanks,
Joe