[Evolution] not being able to update contacts

Hi to all,
I have entered some contacts into evo, worked great, but when i go to edit the contacts
i am unable to as all the options are greyed out; but i can still add new contacts though.
so i tried to maually go into the evolution folder and edit them that way, no chance.
Anyway so i renamed my evolution folder and re ran the evolution setup, and my contacts reappeared;
surly renaming the evo folder would loose all the contacts as they are not imported into the gnomecard
and i cannot find the contacts file anywahere to edit it.I assumed for some reason evolution changed the
permissions
contacts, so i ran thru the folder and all the permissions are intact.
Anyone else came across this problem as well.

while were on the subject will there be a spell checker incorporated into evolution in the future?

            Thanks
                Mark