[HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

Hi Matt,

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Matt Loper wrote:
For Evolution, we need a way of storing all of someone's data into a
.pst-like, consolidated file. This way, people can move between machines and
back up their Wombat/Evolution stuff easily.

        Right; good.

Nat and I were just wondering: why not use a libole2 backend for gnome-vfs
for this? I noticed a "libvfs integration (?)" note in the libole2 module.
Pros, cons?

        Hmm; herein lies an interesting quandry. The real reason the merge
was not done was licensing, it was thought that leaving libole2 GPL was a
good idea [ after some discussion ], although libole2's design should lend
to rather simple vfs-ing.

        If I was going to choose a robust in-file filing system to store
all my vital mail in I would not automaticaly choose libole2 :-) Although
it has had a load of testing there are still a few skeletons in the closet
( eg. seeking beyond the end of a stream doesn't extend it etc. ).

        Possibly it is a good idea, certainly it shouldn't be too tough
though quite why it is any better than eg. tar.gz or zip format is beyond
me.

        HTH,

                Michael.